Friday, October 25, 2019

For every thing there's a season




You can feel the season changing. 

In addition to its religious significance, Sukkot is an agricultural holiday. The first harvests were brought to the Temple in Jerusalem, and in our daily prayers we switch from asking for dew to praying for rain. Israel today has no water shortage, the previous 6 year drought notwithstanding. There are several desalination plants that provide clean water for consumption and agriculture. In addition, Israel is the world leader in recycling waste water; 90% is reused, mostly for agricultural purposes. But not so long ago (about 20 years), plentiful rain was critical. It's always amazing to me that no matter when Sukkot falls on the Gregorian calendar, that's when the weather changes and the rainy season starts. Those few drops we had in Mitzpe Ramon fell during Sukkot, and scattered showers are forecast for tomorrow.

But it's more than that. There's a rhythm here that's connected to the holidays. It's still in the mid-70's during the day, but it takes longer to warm up in the morning and it cools off much more quickly as the sun sets. Think northern Wisconsin in August. We switch to winter time next weekend and the temperatures fall with the number of daylight hours. Culturally winter is a great time to be in Jerusalem. A series of festivals, music, dance, art, gastro and sound and light shows keep people out of hibernation. We go to as many as possible, starting with the Jerusalem Biennial which goes on till the end of November, when the Oud Festival begins.

We've been here 3 weeks, and it's a blur. On the one hand, we've been busy, between the holidays and my brother and sister in law's visit. On the other hand, I have been laid up with pneumonia, which has cramped our style. I, who NEVER get sick, got sick. The sinus thing I had when we left the US just wouldn't go away, and last week I developed a cough. I never ran a fever, but I knew what I had wasn't just a bad cold and began to suspect walking pneumonia. I was able to see a doctor who confirmed my diagnosis and dosed me up with 2 antibiotics and 2 meds for symptomatic relief. It's much better after a week of drugs, but it's taking more time than I thought to get back to my old self. I really don't know how to be sick, nor do I have the time. Classes start next week (after the holiday break), and we're getting ready for another set of visitors from the States. Bottom  line is, one-third of our trip is over. It's going way too fast. Seasons change too soon and I'm not ready.

Shabbat shalom from Jerusalem,
Peggy and Sid






No comments:

Post a Comment